Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Basic Stage Makeup Tips: A Must Know for Every Performer!

As a performer, I've had tons of experience with stage makeup. I'm a dancer and an actress, but both areas of performing has similar if not the same general makeup! Stage lights are like high school snobs: harsh and point out your flaws. But stage lights are necessary for a great production. So I put together some tips for basic stage makeup.

1. Remember that basic stage makeup is the makeup that goes on under any makeup needed for your character. Also, if your director tells you not to wear anything that I put below, don't wear it! This is generalized and the usual makeup worn by actresses.

2. FoCoPo
I know, it sounds strange, but I think FoCoPo is a must have/do routine done before your other makeup. It stands for Foundation, Concealer, and Powder. As I said before, stage lights can be your worst enemy when blemishes aren't covered up enough. They bring out redness, discoloration, etc. So a good foundation, concealer and powder is absolutely necessary for looking flawless.

3. Eyeliner & Mascara
Being washed out is another terrible deed done by stage lights. You can look sickly pale if you don't darken up areas like your eyes. A basic rule for eyeliner is to make it black. Black looks the best and darkest on stage. I like liquid eyeliners, but pencil can work just as well as long as you thicken it. And for mascara, make sure it's waterproof, because the lights can make you sweat!

4. Bronzers and Highlighters and Blushes
Bronzers can be very tricky, especially when it comes to contouring. Unless your director tells you to, I like to skip bronzer, or else I could look suntanned or something horrendous like that. Highlighters can be tricky too. If done right, it can really make your cheeks and eyes sparkle. I like to a nice pigmented highlighter on my cheekbones and my brows and in the inner corner of my eye. I done wrong though, it can make you just look washed out. Blush is absolutely necessary for stage makeup. Without it, it can definitely make you look like a zombie. I like creme blushes for the stage, just because it's easier to touch up before going on stage.

5. Lipsticks
These can be really scary. Nudes can make you look washed out, but reds can be totally wrong for your part. Ahhh! Talk to your director, and always bring a variety with you to dress rehearsal.

6. Your Makeup Bag and Touch Ups
Every performer should bring a touch up bag. In it are the necessaries:
  • Concealer & Powder
  • Creme Blush
  • Several different lipsticks in different shades
  • Eyeliner
  • Hairspray
  • Bobby Pins
  • Mascara
Yeah, hairspray and bobby pins aren't makeup, but they are still necessary for a good show. And even if you don't need them, someone else in the cast might need to borrow it!

Fun Fact: Hairspray doesn't have to be used for just hair- it's great for keeping your makeup on throughout the show!

I hope this helped!

Question: Can you name the Broadway Shows shown in the pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment